We've put together all kinds of fun ideas for you to use at your party, so get comfy and come take a look around!
American Idol Party Invitations
Make Your Own InvitationsYou can make your own invitations very easily with just a little creativity.
Download the American Idol logo off of the internet, then adhere it to some cardstock with some stickers shaped like music notes and stars.
Inside write a catchy little phrase with all of the party details and you're good to go!
Buy InvitationsReady-made American Idol Party Invitations are another good (and easy) option. They come in packages of 8 and are very reasonably priced. All you have to do is fill in the party details and stick them in the mail!
For Added Party Fun...
- Note on your invitations for everyone to come dressed as a rock star.
- Ask them to bring their favorite music (labeled with their names) so your party will have music to suit everyone's tastes.
American Idol Party Supplies
The best, easiest and cheapest way to buy American Idol Party supplies is to buy a party pack from Celebrate Express.
I have done this on several occasions and I'm now convinced that it is the best way to go! You get all of the party supplies that you need in one box, for less money than it would cost you to buy everything individually, and all your supply shopping is done with a click of your mouse!
These party packs include plates, cups, forks, spoons, and activity placemats for 8 people, PLUS 16 napkins, a tablecover, a centerpiece, a mylar balloon, 24 latex balloons in 2 colors, crepe paper rolls in 2 colors, curling ribbon in 2 colors, confetti, cake candles and thank-you notes!
Do you have more than 8 guests coming? No problem! You can purchase extra party supplies to fit your needs.
American Idol Party Decorations
- Stars, stars, and more stars! The theme here is all about becoming a superstar, so the more stars the better! You can find metallic, cardboard stars in a variety of sizes at your local party store for pretty low prices. Hang them from the ceiling, tape them to the wall, put them anywhere you have space! If you're unable to find the pre-made stars, you can make your own out of posterboard, cover them with foil, and use those instead.
- Balloons are a must! If you order the party pack
mentioned above, latex balloons, a mylar balloon, and curling ribbon
are all included. Otherwise, blue and lime green balloons would go
perfectly with this theme.
Let the balloons hang freely at the party, with the curling ribbon
hanging down. This adds some pizazz to the party atmosphere!
Group a few together and hang them on the mailbox to mark the party location.
Helpful Hint: About a week before the party, take your balloons to a party store and place your helium order. Let them know the date and time that you'll need the balloons and they will have them all ready to be picked up!
- For this party you are going to need a performing area. The amount of space that you have to work with will dictate how far you go with this. The bottom line is, you want to have a "stage." This can be as simple as draping a large sheet as a backdrop, or as extravagant as building an actual platform. Whichever way suits you, just be sure that your performing area is close to your music source.
Some other things you should have on hand for your American Idol party
- A karaoke machine or stereo
- Microphones: If you don't have equipment to use real microphones, try these American Idol microphones.
- Lots of music, including karaoke CDs!
- A charged camera and/or camcorder
American Idol Party Activities
Contestant RegistrationUse your computer to make Contestant Badges for your guests, or order some here.
Also make a list of the song choices that you have for the contestants to choose from. Make a copy of the list for each guest.
Set up a registration table. Have the song lists and badges ready. As the guests arrive, have them report to the registration table.
Give them their contestant badges, song lists and a copy of the ground rules for the competition. (See Below).
The CompetitionAlthough your preteen may sing his or her heart out at home in front of you, the likelihood of them wanting to do it in front of their friends at a party is a whole different story!
Therefore, when we say "Competition", we really mean whatever the kids feel comfortable with. They are much more likely to open up and have fun if they don't feel like they are being put on the spot.
With that in mind, lay down some ground rules that you think will put everyone at ease, like it's okay to lip-sync or sing as a group, or that there won't be any cruel Simon Cowell judging. The less pressure there is to perform, the more fun the kids will have. Encourage them to be goofy and enjoy themselves!
Play their favorite music, compliment their efforts, and let them be silly.
If there's someone who's too shy to join in the singing fun, have them help with playing the music.
The Photo Shoot
During the performances, take lots of pictures!
When the Competition is over, declare everyone a superstar and announce a photo shoot for the new American Idols.
For added fun you can have sunglasses, hats, feather boas, makeup, etc. available to "glam up" the rock stars.
Have them "strike a pose" individually and as a group for the photo shoot. Encourage them to be goofy and you will get better pictures.
Enclose a picture of each guest, or a group picture along with each thank you note.
Autograph SessionCreate little autograph books out of paper and put the American Idol logo on the cover. Purchase fancy pens for the kids to write with.
Once everyone has been declared a star, they can get each others autographs in autograph books. Have them come up with fun trademarks (hearts, lipstick kisses, etc.) to go beside their autographs.
These books pull double duty as a party activity and as a party favor!
American Idol Party Favors
American Idol Favor Boxes, like the party supplies, are also available from Celebrate Express.
As a matter of fact, 8 favor boxes can be added to the American Idol party package mentioned above and you will pay less than if you purchased the favors individually!
If you're looking for other favor ideas, try these:
- Picture Frames: Personalize the frame for each guest. When you send the thank you note, enclose a picture of the guest (or the group) from the party.
- Make a CD: Buy a bundle of blank CDs and burn your pre-teen's favorite songs on the discs. Enclose a CD in each goody bag. Make special party labels to complete the gift.
- Autograph Books: The kids LOVE these!
- Pop-Rocks Candy
American Idol Party Food
Here are some fun foods with an American Idol Party twist:
Simon Cowell KabobsYou'll need:
- Assorted fruits of your choice (Mandarin oranges, grapes, peach chunks, pineapple chunks and banana chunks go best with the Hawaiian Fruit dip)
- Party Picks
Thread the fruit onto wooden skewers or party picks, alternating the fruit. Serve with Hawaiian Fruit Dip.
Super Star SandwichesYou'll need:
- Large star-shaped cookie cutter
- Bread slices
- Favorite sandwich fillings (chicken salad, tuna salad, peanut butter and jelly, lunchmeats, cheeses, etc).
Prepare the sandwiches using your favorite sandwich fillings. Cut them into star shapes using a star cookie cutter.
Paula PunchYou'll need:
- 1 container of frozen orange juice
- 1 large can of pineapple juice
- 1 2-Liter bottle of Sprite or Sierra Mist
Sit the orange juice out at room temperature until almost completely thawed. Pour into a punch bowl. Add pineapple juice and Sprite. Mix well and enjoy!
American Idol Birthday Cakes
You've got several options for an American Idol Birthday Cake.
- A star-shaped cake: A simple option is to stick with the "star" decor and make a star-shaped cake. This star cake pan is perfect for that! Jazz it up by adding colorful frosting to match your party colors, and sprinkling it with edible glitter.
- A Light-Up American Idol Cake: Use this fun American Idol cake topper to liven up your birthday cake!
- Edible Art: Download the American Idol logo or an American Idol picture off of your computer, then take it to your local bakery. They will scan your picture to create an edible sugar image. All you do is frost your cake, apply the image, seal the edges and enjoy!
- Create Your Own Design: If you're the adventurous type, you can create your own cake design. I used the design from the American Idol party supplies as inspiration for this Birthday cake. Click here to find out how you can do it, too.